Hi everyone. Well, here in Ohio Fall has arrived early. This is day two of cold breezy days. This weather makes me very happy since Fall is my favorite season.
As I enjoy this beautiful weather. let me share with you one of the projects I have done lately.
Through time filing cabinets can become rather ugly. They get scratched up a lot and sometimes a bit rusty if they have been wet. My problem was that my filing cabinets were old, they were all scratched up and I was tired of the black color. I wanted a lighter color but buying new ones was out of the question, first these filing cabinets were in good condition and it seemed crazy for me to buy new ones if the old ones were fine. So my remedy was to either spray paint them or cover them in contact paper.
Now a days you can find contact paper in an assortment of designs and colors but I wanted just plain shade of cream. I found the color I wanted and I covered my filing cabinets (2) with this cute cream & tan marble contact paper I found at Dollartree.
Here is the filing cabinet BEFORE
Its too dark for my new office colors.
Before you start to cover the cabinets you must first remove the handles and then clean the cabinets well from dust, dirt and grease so the contact paper can adhere well to the metal. To clean my filing cabinets I made a bowl of Mr. Clean muscle cleaner & water. I cleaned them well and then I let them dry.
Here is the contact paper I bought for this project, I bought 3 rolls.
Once the cabinets were covered I cut out the handles by slitting the hole where the handle goes in a few times. Then I slowly tucked the paper behind the hole..
I slowly pressed my finger around the handles to press down all the bubbles., if you come a bubble than you cannot remove take a fine needle and lightly poke the bubble, then press it down to make the bubble let out the air...then press the paper down and the bubble should completely disappear. As you see on this photo my paper has a few small bubbles, but once I poked the bubbles out (next photo) they are no longer there.
This is my after photo...they came out great.
No bubbles and for the $3 dollars I spent on (3) rolls of contact paper, I must say that was a Frugalicious project.